19 Aug Engage Your Customers With Personalization
I had the opportunity to attend the Marketo Roadshow in Chicago this week. It was a selling event promoting Marketo, but also a good opportunity to see what is new. Marketo is a sales and automation system that allows companies to know their customers and how engaged their customers are with the company. The messages from the seminar are good for all businesses, regardless of size. Customers today see nearly 3,000 ads per day, including mobile, OOH ads on your commute, ads in your emails, etc. so it is harder than ever to reach them.
To attract and engage customers, the following are the five steps:
- Ask: Understand the individual customer. Ask questions. Know what the customer’s “pain points” are.
- Trigger: Listen to customer behavior and react with triggers. The triggers should be launched based on customer interaction with the company: website visit, inqury, signup.
- Educate: Build relationships through education, not promotion. Customers want to learn, not to be sold to.
- Measure: Measure what’s important, not vanity metrics. Who cares what is clicked on? What’s important is how the customer reacts.
- Coordinate: Reach customers across multiple channels, including social, email and digital.
Real-time website personalization was also discussed. How can you tailor the website experience for every visitor? With a typical website IP address, you can tell a person’s profession, industry, organization, company revenue, company size, location, website behavior and referral URL. Once you know the customer, you can figure out their persona, buying stage, lead score, products owns, buying intent and engagement.
So the bottom line is know your customers and deliver the messages to them that they want.